Rohingya in Malaysia





Before beginning I would like to thank Malaysia for allowing us to stay in this country! What we have witnessed has deeply traumatized us. From having to flee our country to save our lives from oppression and violence; to living in so many camps in the jungle, with dozens of people from all different countries, our Rohingya kids, men, and women included, living in misery. I expect that these images will stay with me for my entire life. Much thanks to Malaysia for giving us refuge.

But life in Malaysia is also hard! I have seen so many Rohingya refugees arrested from different parts of Malaysia during raids. I have received so many complaints from my people while they stayed in kongsi, or makeshift workers’ dorms. And because of the fear of arrest, others choose to stay in the forest to avoid enforcement raids.
*****Further, UNHCR mentioned in a notice from December 2019 that they have not received approval from Immigration authorities to access any immigration detention centres since August 2019. This has unfortunately prevented UNHCR in seeing detained persons of concern in order to determine those in need of international protection and to advocate for their release. Until further notice we have been advised that UNHCR will not have access to immigration detention centers. The raids still continue by immigration authorities even though some of the documented refugees were arrested.*****
For those who are not aware, maybe they pretend to be ignorant? I hope this is not the case.
For those who want to know more about refugee life in Malaysia, I am sure that this documentary will allow you to see the real human suffering.


Popular posts from this blog

Gratitude – and advice – to Malaysia from a Rohingya refugee

My interview with Spanish brother Jose Ernesto, the blog The Compass of the Birds!

“Survivor: My life as a Rohingya refugee”