My family in 01/03/1999.

My family in 01/03/1999:

The UNHCR started a thorough census of the population inside the camp in 1998 which included taking photographs, posing with the Myanmar Refugee Code (MRC) with the name of the family head.
Growing in refugee camps was not easy, besides my father abandoned us while I was two years old.

My mom later worked and started her own business of selling chicken and working at a Soap Factory which was implemented by TAI (Technical Assistance Incorporated, NGO) and supported by UNHCR. Yes, the general food was not enough and there was lack of safety and security for the rohingya refugees as well as in non-camps areas.

The camps are not surrounded by any fence or wall.

Bangladeshi locals could walk into the camps freely and inflict harm onto the rohingya refugees without any reprimand.

In the camp Rohingyas faced problems such as robbery, stealing, kidnapping, raping and physical torture which were on the rise in an alarming way in the camp areas by the local people of Bangladesh.

The houses were bad in shape and the sanitation system was very poor. Of course, there was no electricity and furniture inside the shed. There were no mattresses, pillows, blankets and even my school bag – made of sacks was given for free with the supplies. I do not remember being bothered by this backpack though as it served its purpose; my granny sewed it. What we rohingyas are suffering in Myanmar and Bangladesh is not new now...
Surprisingly, my missing father appeared for the photographing. He kept himself informed about the camp life through his other family members, and apparently could show up at the necessary moments.

I do not know what my mother told him then, maybe nothing even though she was a bit far from my dad.
What would a woman left alone with a child by her husband can tell him after years of enduring the hardship, God knows. I was too small to understand.

Frankly, I did not even realize who was that man standing next to me and my mother.

Popular posts from this blog

Gratitude – and advice – to Malaysia from a Rohingya refugee

My interview with Spanish brother Jose Ernesto, the blog The Compass of the Birds!

“Survivor: My life as a Rohingya refugee”