Neutrality is not an option when the voice of Rohingyas is weakened by political blocs

I was only 40 days old living in Myanmar when my life as a refugee began. It remains insecure and without citizenship.

Throughout the years, I have struggled to survive while giving voice to those wanting only to be defined freely.

Growing up a refugee has brought me to different countries - BangladeshThailand and Malaysia. From 1993 to present day my journey has never produced my right to self-determination. Forced to endure horrid experiences, my journey has defined me as a activist representing millions of Rohingyas suffering the same fate.

Neutrality is not an option when the voice of Rohingyas is weakened by political blocs. I have committed my voice, my money and sacrificed my career to advance justice. It seems crazy to some I would sacrifice my future and that of my family.

Deteriorating conditions has led to discord within the refugee community. Activists are labeled enemy and voices silenced. Solidarity is jeopardized through self-preservation.

At times, I want to close my eyes until I reach a good place. "After 25 years, where is that good place? Where do I belong? Where is my home?"

Still, I rise above my circumstances and believe strength can be found in solidarity. I must continue to press forward as an activist until all people enjoy human rights. I don't talk the talk. I am committed to ensuring a meaningful solution to the refugee crisis.

I am currently waiting on my book publication detailing my experiences over 25 years.Thanks to all my friends supporting me in solidarity.

(Photos were taken while questioning the panel at IIUM)

Popular posts from this blog

Gratitude – and advice – to Malaysia from a Rohingya refugee

My interview with Spanish brother Jose Ernesto, the blog The Compass of the Birds!

“Survivor: My life as a Rohingya refugee”